[aprssig] IC-706 CT-17 cable

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 14:48:01 EST 2014

On 1/25/2014 2:19 PM, Kent Hufford wrote:
> The driver software for the USB adapter.
>
> WARNING WILL ROBINSON..
>
> Some cheap USB to serial adapters or USB to Radio adapters (Wouxun/Baufang,
> etc) use a Chinese version of the FIDI adapter. If you have one of these cables
> and a modern Windows software, the Windows software will see you Chinese fake
> FIDI adapter and try and load a real US licensed version of the driver, which
> will show up with a yellow flag in Device manager and will not work.
>
> You then have to trick modern Windows into loading the fake Chinese FIDI driver
> to run your adapter.
>
> Some of the more expensive Chinese adapters use a real US Fidi chip and will
> run with the real FIDI driver.
>
> Kent
>
> KQ4KK

Slight errors in info here....

The problematic widely-counterfeited USB<-->Serial interface chip is the
Taiwan-made Prolific 2303.

The <GOOD> stuff is based on the FTDI (not Fidi) chip.

FTDI   (Future Technology Devices International)   <http://www.ftdichip.com>
is located in the UK -- not the US.

Details on the whole sorry Prolific mess is here on my website:

    <http://wa8lmf.net/ham/USB-Serial-Dongles.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths