[aprssig] Looking for colocation site. Again.

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jan 15 16:23:43 EST 2014

findU’s new primary server is happy and healthy at my colo provider for the last 5 years. I’m very happy with them (salsgiver.com - highly recommended) and their 100.0000% uptime since I’ve been there. I found them through a post here so I’ll try again.

The backup server needs a new home. I’m refurbishing the recently retired primary and want to put it in a different site to provide redundancy. This is a 6.5 year old Dell Poweredge 2950. It is not efficient by today’s standards, drawing 2.5-2.7 amps according to my Kill-a-watt. If the primary server were to go down this would need to have a connection capable of carrying the full load of findU which is roughly 3 Mbps, but most of the time will use 0.4 Mbps. With peak loads I’d prefer 10 Mbps unmetered, but I could accept a connection with a 3 TB/mo meter. Ideally someplace west, but at least a few hundred miles from Pittsburgh where the primary is.

The big name places seem to be getting out of the single server hosting business, even the small ones I’ve looked at want to sell you big-iron features like quarter cabinets and 100Mbps for big boy prices.

If anyone knows of a good colo provider that can host me for a reasonable fee, preferably with ham ownership or management like salsgiver, please let me know!

Thanks, Steve K4HG