[aprssig] Weird Behavior on the APRS-IS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Feb 18 01:20:29 EST 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> I then noticed that KJ4ERJ's ISS object originates with  fourth.aprs.net.  I
> then thought maybe I could cut out some delays and latency by logging into
> fourth and getting as close to the source as possible.     When I connected
> to fourth, I got NOTHING !

I investigated this one just now. aprsc's APRS object decoder has a silly
little bug, it doesn't handle objects having HHMMSSh timestamp - only
DDHHMMz. The ISS object has a HHMMSSh timestamp and aprsc doesn't take
that as a valid object, so the object filter won't pass it on.

The bug is simple, and the fix is simple too, I'll release a new version
soon.

   - Hessu