[aprssig] Weird Behavior on the APRS-IS

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Feb 17 23:51:51 EST 2014

On Feb 17, 2014, at 10:56 PM, Stephen H. Smith <WA8LMF2 at aol.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't have any logs reflecting this incident and currently the two maps plotting this identical object, but received via two different IS servers are once again in sync.
>
> I was really just wondering if anyone was aware of some sort of major disturbance, server problem, router outage, etc on the APRS-IS Sunday evening.
>
> All this came up as I was reconfiguring my APRS server with several new virtual machines running on my Win7-64 host, so I was focusing more on getting multiple IP addresses and port numbers untangled.  The coincidence of the delayed object at first had me thinking I had something screwed up at my end.  It took me a while to realize it was an unrelated problem.   (Had about a 4 hour outage of my server last night for the reconfiguration.)

I looked closely at the data from 6P to MN Sunday CST. All the ISS objects from KJ4ERJ-15 were received in order. If it was something differing on the core servers I should have seen it in the raw data file because findU maintains connections to all the core servers. The parser's dup checking removes all dups within 2048 packets of each other (40-50 seconds at present rates), but anything longer will appear in my raw data. A 20 minute delay would certainly be obvious.

If it occurs again get the exact times and save the packets.

Steve K4HG