[aprssig] "no sym yet" icon + compressed packets?

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Fri Feb 14 23:04:52 EST 2014

Greetings--

I regularly work the ISS digipeater and check www.ariss.net and
http://aprs.fi/info/a/KD0KZE -- and note that when a particular station
sends receipt of my transmission to the t2/sgate servers, my icon
appears as "no sym yet" instead of the usual 'House (Vertical Antenna)'.

The operator (K0GDI-6) told me he's using UISS + the SatGate module.
And I see he's apparently sending RX's that result in 'no sym yet' for
other stations also.

When I go to aprs.fi and pass my mouse over the 'no sym yet' graphic, it
says 'House (HF Antenna)'.  That's not what I've plugged into my rig or
software (TM-V71A + RC-D710, APRSISCE/32), and I don't see this problem
with terrestrial APRS or when other stations send a report of me working
the ISS.

Is it likely that the operator's UISS software is outdated with an old
symbol set?  Kind of a bummer to lose my "home" symbol on ariss.net,
etc.  I note that I can immediately restore it if I fire up 144.390 and
send some local packets in my area.

Regards,
KD0KZE / Paul Bramscher