[aprssig] The panel

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:41:42 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Patrick <winston at winston1.net> wrote:
> I would second N3OZB's suggestion to drop it.  Its not a real measurement,
> it is a "feeling"..  Further there is no universally accepted formula for it
> so there would always be drama... How long until noaa publishes a new new
> formula?

The nation weather service (and their equivalents) in the US, Canada,
and the UK have agreed on a common formula since 2001: 35.74 + 0.6215T
- 35.75V (**0.16) + 0.4275TV(**0.16), where T is Fahrenheit temp and V
is wind speed in mph.  No feelings are used as input to this
calculation.

Work by scientists both past and present in improving the calculation
does not discount it's value, rather this work highlights how useful
the researchers behind this work believe such a measure is.  The
calculation may well be improved in the future, but that does not
invalidate all usefulness of the current technique. This is backed up
by the near universal adoption of wind chill in public weather
reports, private weather monitoring devices, etc.  Sometimes things
are not perfect and not worthless at the same time.