[aprssig] New icon images (process summary)

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Thu Aug 28 12:13:21 EDT 2014

Quite honestly several folks have over the years created symbols. It would
be nice if we as a group created a shared repo with symbols containing both
raster and vector formats and corporately maintained them.

Greg

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Yes, give me your ideas, and we can add them to the list.  Then the actual
> icon files can be updated.
>
> I will apply two general rules  of common sense to add them to the
> definitions list:
>
> 1)      Is it a good idea, which will see general use?
>
> 2)      Will it also make sense on older systems (base symbol with a
> meaningful overlay character)?
>
> 3)      Or is it just using up symbols space, making a lot of work for a
> lot of people, with little benefit to all.
>

> Then with respect to updating various ICON files, I will let the authors
> agree who is making what changes to what data base so that we don’t have
> multiple incompatible versions and the effort is organized.
>

> I know that Hessu is investing a massive effort in the symbol set for
> APRS.FI and trying to generalize it.  Let’s let him speak up on his
> effort, and then see how that trickles down to the UI data base and so on.
> I think APRS.FI is the elephant in the room, so lets see what he has to
> say.  I admit, I cant keep track of the details.
>

> Someone did give a good summary once as to how many different base symbol
> sets there are,  IE… a lot of clients use the UIVIEW symbol files which is
> great for commonality.  But I do not know all the others.
>

> Maybe someone can summarize once again a list of the fundamental ICON file
> sources, and lets work on those at the source.
>

> *** NOTICE *** That to make all this work, in 2007, we made a fundamental
> change to a lot of weather symbols to consolidate them and free up all this
> BASE symbol set.  That has to be done first.  Has it been done?
>

> For example,. Original APRS had completely different symbols for Rain,
> Snow, Freezing rain, drizzle, Blowing snow, Sleet, etc.  Since 2004, all
> PRECIPITIAION gets one “base symbol” and then the type of precipitation is
> indicated with an OVERLAY.  Thus giving us 36 different types of
> precipitation and freeing up at least a half dozen of BASE symbols for
> other  uses.
>

> Read about it in this in the bottom half of the
> http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt
>

> Has this movement of most weather symbols to overlays been done in all
> clients?  Once this has been done, then that frees up 11 new BASE symbols
> times 36 each or over 390 new potential symbols (but ONLY with 11 BASE
> symbols for backwards compatibility.).
>
> Nailing down these last 11 new categories will be critical and will lock
> us in.  So these need to be very judiciously chosen.
>

> So far, we have not needed to use ANY of these, because I have been able
> to map almost all new ideas into existing base symbols.
>

> Bob, WB4APR

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net
OpenAPRS iPhone Edition
Find RC sites and weather in your area on iPhone/iPad with WhereBRC