[aprssig] Debugging APRS clients with socat and tnc-server

Christopher Snell chris.snell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 16:26:29 EDT 2014

I recently needed to debug an APRS client that I'm working on and needed a
way to do it without using RF.  Simply attaching the client to a KISS TNC
and a radio wasn't cutting it for me: I needed to carefully control the
packets that were being sent to the client and I needed to send packets at
a faster rate than would be desirable on the local RF network.   You can do
this with a null-modem cable between two RS-232 ports but if you don't have
two ports and a cable handy, there's an easier way.

If you're a developer of an APRS client or utility, you might find this
useful.  I did a write-up on the process:

http://output.chrissnell.com/post/94364500380/debugging-aprs-clients-with-a-virtual-null-modem-cable

Chris
NW5W