[aprssig] Kenwood TM-D710GA or Yaesu FTM-400DR?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 5 20:07:44 EDT 2014

Ralph NM5RM wrote...

> But I'm about to buy a new APRS rig and wonder if I should
> go with the Kenwood TM-710GA or the Yaesu FTM-400DR.

See Lynn's valid comments if you are want to connect an APRS client to
the TNC, although you could add an external TNC, but the D710 would
avoid that.

However, if the radio will be used "stand-alone" the FTM-400D is a very
nice radio to use, both for voice and for APRS. The touch sensitive
colour screen sets it apart from anything else that is out there, plus
it also does digital C4FM FDMA, with a growing number of DR-1 repeaters
installed around the continent and around the world.

Very likely, D710 users will rave about it, and FTM-400D users will rave
about it too. I'm very happy with both the FTM-400D and the FT1DR. I
find them both very intuitive.

--
73 Keith VE7GDH