[aprssig] Kenwood TM-D710GA or Yaesu FTM-400DR?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Aug 5 19:40:47 EDT 2014

If your focus is on APRS then it's likely that you'd want to integrate a
full function APRS client to your radio's TNC.  If that is the case,
then there's only one choice, the Kenwood.  Yaesu doesn't support
external access to the TNC.

Yaesu has a menu option that looks promising, but it only provides
output of received APRS packets and that's in a non-standard form. And
the manual section that mentions TNC is simply instructions on how to
hook up your own external TNC to the radio which kind of makes the
internal APRS functions a bit redundant.

Kenwood, on the other hand, provides full access to the internal TNC for
both receive and transmit and even supports KISS mode to let the
software take full control.

I'll let other's compare and contrast the internal APRS functions of the
two radios, if you have no plans to interface beyond them.