[aprssig] What is "TNC Channel Switching"?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 13:49:27 EDT 2014

On 4/11/2014 12:23 PM, Andre wrote:
> op 11-04-14 17:14, Stephen H. Smith schreef:
>>
>> Decades old programs still in use such as APRSplus, WinAPRS, UIview, and more
>> recent ones that don't support KISS such as APRSpoint.
>>

> unless i'm mistaken uiview actualy uses the ~ in it's native uiview to uiview
> messaging so it's an bad exsample to use in this case.

Does anyone actually use UIview in it's native (rather than APRS-compatible)
mode?   I'm not aware of anyone doing so, at least in North America.

By the way UIview does support KISS mode very well; indeed it's mandatory if
you want to use it's advanced smart digipeater functions.

However, many users still use the command-line mode instead, since many older
TNCs don't support KISS.   (Particularly the MFJ 127x series TNCs that crammed
in numerous other modes, so that there wasn't enough room in the 27256 eprom
for KISS support.  I have replaced the OEM firmware on countless MFJ 127x TNCs
with the final release "official" TAPR 1.1.9 firmware precisely to regain the
KISS capabilities.)

[On the Kenwood D700 and TH-D7, there is another incentive to NOT use KISS mode
besides the fact that it's buggy and unstable due to a too-small buffer -- the
GPS pass-through feature doesn't function in KISS mode.]

The bottom line is that:

There are still a lot of APRS installations NOT using the KISS interface
between the TNC and the computer for various reasons.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths