[aprssig] What is "TNC Channel Switching"?

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Fri Apr 11 10:18:23 EDT 2014

The tilde "~" character is used in APRS Messenger as a "wrapper" before
sending the APRS packet over HF APRS over digimodes.

On transmit the CRC-16 checksum is calculated for the APRS packet and
the three figures generated are added to the end of the packet. A tilde
character is then added to each end of the packet and then it's
transmitted over PSK-63, PSK-250, GMSK-250 or MFSK-16 with a short
preamble of seven dots so that the AFC at the receive end has something
to lock in to.

On receive the data is saved and the APRS packet plus checksum is
extracted by looking for the text string between the tilde characters.
The three figure checksum is removed and the APRS packet is checked
against the checksum to confirm that it's been received correctly.

Without having the tilde character reserved in the APRS spec it wouldn't
be possible to do that. It's not likely to affect any Kantronics modems
as they can't decode the digimodes used.

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

--
Chris Moulding