[aprssig] N1VG-11 9600 baud balloon aloft

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Apr 8 12:27:33 EDT 2014

It was one of these:

http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/images/T3-HAB.jpg

It's got a 650 mAh LiPO battery - overkill, but it's all I had on hand.
  Saturday's flight used an SMA whip antenna rather than stripped coax.

For insulation this time I used 1" EPS foam sheet on both sides.  Worked
*much* better than the pipe insulation I used last time.

Reception was strong 60 miles away with the transmitter putting out 1/2
watt.

I got the 350 gram balloon more than half filled and discovered it was
leaking.  Not surprising, since those balloons weren't new when a friend
hauled them out of a dumpster in Baghdad several years ago.  This is the
first one I'd ever tried to launch.  A few others got filled with
oxyacetylene out in the desert and met a more dramatic end.

I did manage to transfer most of the helium into the 1000 gram balloon.
  It took some juggling to get all of this done solo, without having
laid out everything in advance, but fortunately it's way easier to
handle balloons inside a warehouse than out in a field.

Scott
N1VG