[aprssig] Balloon - lessons learned (AVMAP-GPS) - GreenLight Labs GPS?

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:33:29 EDT 2014

For the cost of a AVMAPS, you could have run a nice netbook or tablet with
preloaded OSM maps and APRSIS32, letting the GLL GPS feed location
information to the 710 while the APRSIS32 gathered data directly from the
710 TNC port on the back of the 710 head, including your location via GPS
passthru from the TNC.

I do this for MS-150 bike events in a SAG vehicle. If I want street-level
point-to-point navigation, I use a separate Nuvi 350 for that. My APRS
overview is actually a Win7 tablet running APRSIS32 feed RF data from the
710.

Running two GPS's like that seems overcomplicated to me.

Anyway, I'd never expect my 710's ( I have 2 of them ) to operate properly
if there were two possibly conflicting GPS sources vying for the same data
port.

That's me and my experiences.

Randy
WF5X