[aprssig] APRS-IS Passcode alternative: SSL + Certificates, with no data encryption

pfbram at comcast.net pfbram at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 11:26:57 EDT 2014

I'm pretty much in agreement. At best, a few techniques might slightly improve the situation, but not stop an even casually determined person. About the only end-to-end secure (+identity) system I see would basically be like secure wi-fi, which would entail new kinds of hardware with built-in encryption, ability to drop an SSL cert or public/private ssh key pair into it, or something along those lines.

The tinkerer might instead consider dabbling in wireless mesh networks which have the lower-level fundamentals already in place. That whole direction looks like a rabbit hole that leads nowhere feasible given the open spirit of amateur radio, rules against crypto over RF and so on. Arguably no reason to reinvent the wheel for amateur radio frequencies.

In the pre-computer days, operators gave their callsign over phone or CW and that was that. In the relatively rare cases of trouble, eventually someone might be able to trace the source of transmissions. TCP/IP/UDP is also traceable, but a determined person on wi-fi, anonymizer systems, routing through international sites, etc. can commit mischief with some anonymity. Ultimately, though, it would seem that people with those sorts of skills have financial motive in mind, so they would have other pickings.

73
Paul / KD0KZE