[aprssig] [APRS] Announcement of WA1PLE-15 digipeater in SW Boston Area

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Tue Sep 24 21:00:57 EDT 2013

At 03:06 PM 2013-09-24, Bob Burns W9BU wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Tony VE6MVP
><<mailto:tony at ve6mvp.com>tony at ve6mvp.com> wrote:
>
>Therefore I would suggest that the repeater object have a path of
>WIDE1-1 or WIDE2-1 so the adjacent digipeaters see the packet and
>display it on your device as you pass near those digipeaters.
>

>In my opinion, repeater objects should only take digipeater hops if
>the voice repeater covers the combined range of the nearby repeaters.
>
>If the coverage area of the digipeater that originates the repeater
>object and the voice repeater's coverage area are roughly the same,
>then "advertising" the voice repeater outside its coverage area is
>useless information to the traveler.

But even if the digi is on the same antenna as the voice repeater the
received coverage by the mobile station will never be as good as the
repeater.   My subjective experience has been that a digi packet can
be reliably received while mobile about 30 kms or 20 miles from the
repeater.  The range of the voice repeater is about double the radius.

Tony