[aprssig] [APRS] Announcement of WA1PLE-15 digipeater in SW Boston Area

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Tue Sep 24 17:05:20 EDT 2013

At 12:48 PM 2013-09-24, Tom Hayward wrote:
 >On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Tony VE6MVP <tony at ve6mvp.com> wrote:
 >> Therefore I would suggest that the repeater object have a path of
WIDE1-1 or
 >> WIDE2-1 so the adjacent digipeaters see the packet and display it on your
 >> device as you pass near those digipeaters.
 >
 >If you are transmitting the object from a digipeater, WIDE1-1 is the
 >wrong answer. WIDE1-1 is just supposed to get low power stations into
 >the bigger digipeaters.

You're right.  I keep forgetting about that detail.   We don't have
any WIDE1-1 digi's out in my area. I'm not sure there are any in
Alberta.  Our digi's are generally configured to respond to WIDE1-1
and WIDE2-2 as there are places where you need the three hops to get
to an igate.  There is one stretch of paved highway in western
Alberta where I think four hops is required.

 >In the situations I can think of that involve voice repeater coverage,
 >they would be better suited by a directed path rather than WIDE2-1.
 >For example, you might advertise 146.94-RI with a path of VERMLN to
 >specifically target users north of the repeater (just making some
 >guesses on coverage here).

Well, yes and no.  VERMLN is indeed the closest digi to Lloyd and the
146.94 repeater but there are paved roads and routes that amateurs
could take that would bypass VERMLN to get to areas of coverage by
the LLOYD.   ELKPNT, ALIANC and the PROVST digi, which is down right
now, are other digi's in the area that the amateur could pass by.

 >Disclaimer: Your area has different terrain and lower channel
 >utilization than mine, so feel free to ignore my opinion and optimize
 >for your situation.

Much lower utilization.  <smile>

Tony