[aprssig] Public Icon Set

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Oct 8 04:01:23 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM, John Gorkos <jgorkos at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a bit premature, but would there be any interest in perhaps
> getting a "professional" artist to do a Creative Commons licensed common
> icon set for APRS?

We actually had a chat on IRC about this quite a while ago with Georg
and thought we might do just that.

And it just happens that yesterday evening after band rehearsals I
talked about it with a bandmate who's a teacher at an arts/graphics
school here. They produce professional graphic artists there, and some
of them could be potential candidates for such and assignment. We
agreed that I'll send him the current set of symbols and he'll put a
note in some pool of freelance job offers that the students can see.

I'd like to have an SVG set that could be extended / re-rendered
later, or used as such. Plus one or two ready-made bitmap renderings
(high-resolution enough for modern displays).

Light and dark variants.

With a little artistic face-lift ("make them look good"), but they
should still be recognizable to be updated versions of the old ones.

It probably makes sense to have the artist do just one or two symbols
first to see if they're good, before ordering the full set.

- Hessu