[aprssig] Dirt Cheap USB WiFi Dongle

AC kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 00:41:43 EDT 2013

What's a wireless network port (no, seriously, I'm trying to understand
where you're going)?

Any USB device presents an ID to the system.  The system uses the ID to
install a stack and driver combination that services the device.  It's
up to the driver to identify to the host operating system what the
device is and how it is to be used.  So the driver hooks into the
network system and presents a network interface to the host OS.  The USB
portion is transparent much like the ISA/PCI/PCI-X/PCMCIA/Cardbus buses
on any other computer.  USB is just another bus architecture.