[aprssig] Public Icon Set

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 21:06:08 EDT 2013

This might be a bit premature, but would there be any interest in perhaps
getting a "professional" artist to do a Creative Commons licensed common
icon set for APRS?  It seems to me we could probably come up with something
like $25-$50 per icon for an hour or so of artist time, and use Kickstarter
to fund it, or perhaps just have interested parties pledge on a per-icon
basis to get it done.  We could start with the "basic" set of 30 or so icons
(houses, cars, jeeps, boats, scouts, etc) and if we have success with that,
move on with a second round.
The results would be licensed under a Creative-Commons license, something
like CC-BY-SA or some such.

Just a thought.   There's clearly a desire for a "good" icon set.  The ones
we're currently using are nice, but how cool would it be to have something
like 3D shaded models that are fully described and can be either
pre-rendered and loaded as Icons, or even rendered on the fly at the
appropriate angle/light source angle, with shadows, etc.

I don't know of any artists that could do something like that, but I'm
betting either someone does, or we could find someone using that Google
thingŠ

John Gorkos
AB0OO