[aprssig] [aprsisce] Adding additional symbols

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Oct 1 18:30:29 EDT 2013

> Currently J in the primary table is undefined.
> Let's say I want to make it a Jet Ski...
> What would be the process to get a new symbol...

Convince me....

> There are probably a number of icons that people would like...

Yes, a night mare...  But I am happy to do it, but not then have to nickle
and dime every single idea.  Here are the  issues.

1) There are thousands of potential combinations (36 times the 90+ primary
symbols.

2) All legacy systems will not even see the overlays on most symbols since
UIview and others only allowed overlays on a few sysbols in the first place.

3) Some APRS operators will see the new overlay characters  in currenlty
maintained clients (D712 and D710 and Yaesu and later) but not older ones.

4) MOST APRS operators will only see one of the generic 90 basic symbols
with just a Character overlay, and not the new symbol until they upgrade to
new clients.

Therefore, I  insist that any new "new symbol" must be a logical subset of
the primary symbol it uses as a base. and make sense.  A "J:" overlayed on
a HOUSE would not be a good jet ski for example.  J on a motorcycle might.

5) Thre are only a very few remaing primary slots, so we cannot use up one
of these without a THOROUGH vetting process to define a NEW primary
category base on which lots of new symbols can be based.

6)  Although I came up with this expansion room just for this purpose, I am
totally swamped and cannot take it on bit by bit.  If someone would like to
be the symbol CZAR to collect all of  the desires, and organize them, and
then make a well thought out and justified proposal, that would help.

I just found another link:  http://aprs.org/symbols.html

So that is another job,  go through all of my evolved documents on
Symbols piece
by piece and identify any conflicts, overlaps, errors and make any specific
recommendations on how I can clean them up.

The main entry points are aprs11.html, aprs12.html, symbols.html and then
all of the symbol related .TXT files they point to.  What a mess.

Just tellintg me to FIX it wont work.  I need specifics.  Id love to have
the time, but it wont happen without help.  And some "help" really is not
help at all but just more work.

Hope that helps
Bob,WB4APR