[aprssig] Senseless Internet-to-RF Igating Forcing Shutdown of HF APRS Net

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Oct 1 13:14:09 EDT 2013

of Net14. View it on the opening page at www.net14.org.uk

 > 73
 >
 > Jim, G0JXN/MB7UXN

The Net 14 Website Is Closed
Hi Guys

When a small group or us formed Net14 our objective was to setup a World Wide
APRS Net using just RF and the skills of Amateur Radio operators to achieve
that. Over a period of time we have seen a number of IGates to RF being set up
and the magic for me has now disappeared. I no longer get a buzz when I get an
ACK to a message or a successful Ping to a DX station direct when a minute or
so later I see the ACK appear on the monitor via an IGate. We are just a few
steps away from the chaos that prevails on the 30m APRS channel in Europe. We
now also have the added clutter of several Packet Nodes that serve no purpose.

Because of all this and the abuse I have received over the years by email and
APRS messages, at times with pirate callsigns, from one of those operators and
the recent attacks on the Net14 Yahoo Group, probably by the same operator,
simply because I occasionally transmit a bulletin saying "Pls Guys no IGates to
RF on this QRG", I have decided to withdraw from the Net 14 activities as they
stand at this moment in time.

I am closing down the Net14 website as of 1st October and am offering up the
ownership of the Net14 Yahoo Group to existing members. If anyone is interested
in taking up the ownership please email me by clicking the World logo above.

73

Jim,G0JXN / MB7UXN

Watch This Space For Any Developments

It has been suggested that those operators that wish to be part of an RF only
APRS Net should QSY to a new frequency. I am very receptive to the suggestion
but it is probable that the operator mentioned above will also QSY his IGate
just to create QRM. In that case it would require a unified approach to
persuade him to cease his IGate activities on the new frequency.   73 Jim G0JXN