[aprssig] THD72 and Raspberri Pi Igate

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 14:55:26 EST 2013

On 11/5/2013 11:25 AM, Andrew P. wrote:
> No reason why you shouldn't be able to, assuming the Pi has appropriate Igate capable software installed on it. It already supports standard USB-serial dongles (such as the one in the TH-D72), and has a full Internet protocol stack for contacting the APRS-IS servers.
>
> Who's got the best software for this environment? I'm afraid that my YAAC program isn't the most efficient on the RPi platform for this.
>
> Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO

The primary issue I see is that the D72 uses a rather oddball USB<-->serial
interface chip;  the Silicon Labs SL210x chip rather than the far more common
Prolific or FDTI chips that are widely supported in the driver libraries of
various OS's.

Verify that a driver for the SL210x is in the Pi's driver library (or is
available as a download) before you attempt to mate the two devices.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Mobile SSTV LiveCAM!
    http://wa8lmf.net/mobile
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham