[aprssig] Best USB<-->Serial Dongle Ever ???

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Tue May 28 05:43:24 EDT 2013

Hi..

Se also, the info at:-
https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO

Especialy the entry:-
Taming the Wild COMport in Windows.

That works with all USB<>RS232 devices (regardless of the driver used) on
everything from Win2000 to Win7.

The advice to avoid Prolific based devies where posible may be moot, but
in most cases, unless you open the packaging (voiding the ability to
return as "unopened") you don't know what chipsets are used until you
load it's utilites, or plug it in, and look with usbdview/usbview etc.
I've yet to see that listed on the external packaging.

Also, many "non RS232" devices, use the same chipsets to communicate with
their own hardware, so "faking" a USB interface.

I'm not defending Prolific, nor am I a great fan of theirs.  I do prefer
the FTDI chipset (It's UK designed at least) but the latest so called
DRM'd Prolific drivers, do work very well indeed with none of the
flakeyness seen in the old ones.  They had to get it right, so their
latest stuff will work on the latest Windows versions.

The only gripe I have (with all of them!)   Is that when Windows (7 at
least) "sees" another USB device connected (mouse, disk drive etc) it
seems to reinitialise all the drivers, causing them to "flap" the RTS/DTR
lines several times.   That can be "interesting" if you have a radio
attached with a simple PTT interface, unless you invoke any TXDISABLE
feature of the individual radios, or use the two handshake lines in
diferential mode, if they are otherwise unused...

If anyone knows a reliable way to disable that, it would be good to know.

73.

Dave G0WBX.