[aprssig] APRS Voice links?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 21 16:20:54 EDT 2013

The ultimate goal of AVRS has always been to allow making contact with
someone while mobile (anywhere in the world) by only knowing his callsign.
All you do is send an APRS message to "AVRS" identifying the called party,
and you (and he) get an APRS message QSYING your Radios to the designated
VOIP link (IRLP, Echolink, Allstar or whatever) and you talk.

All the set-up and connections of the VOIP are done by the AVRS engine
sitting somewhere on the internet but with tentacles into APRS, Echolink,
IRLP and Allstar info).  Both Kenwood and Yaesu have already added the QSY
capability to their radios so that all you have to do is push a TUNE or
QSY button (automatic will come later as the system grows)...

Bob, WB4aPR