[aprssig] "station which heard ... directly on the radio"

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue May 21 09:38:42 EDT 2013

What software is improperly appending -0 as a SSID in a TNC2 format?  Both the TNC2 and AEA formats do not permit -0 as a SSID because no SSID is the representation of a SSID of zero and -0 fails many duplicate checking algorithms working with the TNC2 format.  In fact, many APRS-IS server software will drop that packet because of the -0 SSID representation.

While showing all callsign-SSIDs with an asterisk that have the digipeated bit set won't generally break anything, it is also not compliant with the TNC2 and AEA formats.  Again, this is an improper recreation of the packet by the software reporting the packet.  The only callsign-SSID to be shown with an asterisk is the last -digipeater- (callsign-SSID in path) with the C bit set.  In other words, do not show the source call with an asterisk, do not show an asterisk on any callsign-SSIDs preceding the last callsign-SSID with the C bit set, and do not show an asterisk on any callsign-SSID without the C bit set (even if you think it should have been set).  It is not up to your software to assume that some other software didn't do it correctly.  That may have been done on purpose by the originator to use an unrecognized callsign-SSID for part of the path.

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net