[aprssig] "station which heard" - PyMultimonAPRS igate seriously buggy!

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Mon May 20 04:14:15 EDT 2013

Kristoff, I just noticed that the PyMultimonAPRS igate software is
still seriously broken in another respect too: it is mangling packet
contents too!

For example, see this: http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=DK0CO

Packets which went through DL1MX igate running PyMultimonAPRS are (1)
missing the '*' character denoting used digipeaters, and (2) the
ISO-8859-1 encoded 'ö' character, 0xF6 hex, is replaced by a '.'
character. "APRS-Digi Osterode-Förste-Clubstation" becomes "APRS-Digi
Osterode-F.rste-Clubstation" !  This will also seriously break Mic-E
encoded position packets, which contain unprintable "binary" bytes.
And it will also make the mangled packet *different* from the original
packet, which will cause a *duplicate* copy to traverse parts of the
network since it's different from the original.

These are due to limitations in Multimon.

I would strongly advice you and everyone else to not use
PyMultimonAPRS at all until these bugs are fixed. Thanks!

- Hessu