[aprssig] UTM, USNG, global applicability

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 17 17:52:55 EDT 2013

UTM is a worldwide standard (hence the "universal" in universal
transverse mercator).  I suspect that pretty much everyone uses it in
some form or another. Sure, the three remaining countries that measure
things in something other than meters may have a local coordinate system
based on some other unit (e.g. feet).  But international maps tend to
have a UTM overprint on the maps.\

There are local variations, e.g. Ordnance Survey in the UK, but even
then, it's a meter based square grid, and while the "grid squares" may
not line up with UTM grid squares, the same basic reporting scheme of
eastings and northings is used. OSNG uses 100x100 km grid squares with
an origin of 49N, 2W.  For some reason they use the Airy 1830 ellipsoid
rather than the more modern Clarke 1866 or the WGS 84.. but I'll bet the
difference isn't significant until you get down into meter scale.