[aprssig] UTM grid (was: APRStt for SAR using...)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu May 16 22:44:52 EDT 2013

On 5/16/2013 5:20 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> It sounds like what we really need is a more budget-conscious version of the TH-D72.

No tuning out-of-band, no SkyCommand, no 1000 memories. Just a basic H-T with
an LCD screen,
GPS, and a mini-TNC (like the TinyTrak, but smaller and integrated).

While I agree with the basic premises in your post, the statement above doesn't
hold water.    Tuning outside the band, SkyCommand, memories, etc are just
firmware adds -- they don't increase the complexity or cost of the hardware at
all.

The significant recurring cost factors are the hardware: Synthesizer, IF
filters, RF power stages, uController, T/R switching, battery & battery
management circuits, GPS sub-system, LCD display, keyboard, etc.

Leaving out firmware bells & whistles might make the radio easier to use, but
it won't significantly lower the cost.