[aprssig] APRStt for SAR using UTM grid!

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu May 16 13:48:06 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Greg Higgins <gs.higgins at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> FYI...after Katrina (28 May 2009), the DHS / FEMA and rescue community
> established the US National Grid (USNG) as the common coordinate system. You
> would be better off adapting that than the UTM.

Most SAR teams I have interacted with do not report the zone, only
XXXYYY or XXXXYYYY. In this case USNG and UTM are identical* (in the
spec you linked, see Annex B, Table 1, page 17). There's no need to
"adapt to that" as you suggest; Bob's proposal already supports USNG.
If you want to be pedantic about it, UTM doesn't officially support
truncation, so in fact Bob is conforming to the USNG spec here but not
UTM spec.

Tom KD7LXL

* Assumes use of WGS84 with UTM, which I assume was implied when used with APRS.