[aprssig] API Information

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 8 15:08:59 EDT 2013

On 5/8/2013 12:23 AM, Doug Eubanks wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a PHP script that scrapes my location from my iPhone every 15 mins.
>
> I can't find any documentation on how to submit this location to aprs.fi

You don't "submit" locations directly to APRS.fi .  APRS.fi gets it's data from
servers of the APRS-Internet systems a.k.a. "APRS-IS", just like any other user
logged into any server of the APRS-IS.

You beacon your posits, in proper APRS formst, to any of the APRS-IS servers.
      You more-or-less emulate an igate taking stuff off RF and inserting it
into the APRS-IS via a connection to the server of your choice.

All 40-50-odd APRS-IS servers world-wide share data with each other in real
time (but store very little).   In turn, APRS.fi will "vacuum up" all the data
reaching it from the APRS-IS sever(s) that it is connected to.    Note that
there are 3 or 4 "public" APRS sites like APRS.fi, along with thousands of
individual users, all taking data from the APRS-IS.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths