[aprssig] Advice requested please

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Sun May 5 05:17:37 EDT 2013

Recently I've been developing a Bluetooth version of the APRS TNC Digi
Tracker. I've also written an Android app which receives the APRS
traffic received by the Digi Tracker sent over the Bluetooth link. The
app can also igate the traffic to the APRS-IS over wi-fi or 3G.

This works really well using an Android phone as a head up display while
driving and also allows easy deployment of a receive only APRS igate for
emergency comms.

There is however a problem. When the distance between the Digi Tracker
and Android phone gets too high the Bluetooth link starts losing the
first few characters from some packets before the Bluetooth link fails.
This could allow incorrect packets to be sent to the APRS-IS usually
with errors in the station callsign.

If the phone and Digi Tracker are close together say inside a car the
Bluetooth link is 100% and the traffic is perfect.

I'd like to seek the advice of the members of the group. Do I release
this with a warning to keep the phone and Digi Tracker close together or
should I forget about releasing it as it may compromise the quality of
the APRS network?

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax:     +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:      +44(0)7752 391908
Website:     http://www.crosscountrywireless.net