[aprssig] Traking the Solar Impulse Flight across America

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 3 17:06:09 EDT 2013

Someone in LA must take over now.   Im' going home.

The plane is in the Los Angeles RF area and will fly right over the city.
Someone needs to put this object on local RF there, so all the Hams can be
aware of it and see it.

Just uplink it every time it changes course or every 10 minutes or so.
APRS.FI dead reckons it so everyone can see where it is even though you
only uplink every now and then. But the goal is RF for those actually
outside to see it.   It is almost half way to Phoenix at 2 PM  California
time so my guess is it will arrive in Phoenix around 2 AM phoenix time?

> Here is the live web page. http://live.solarimpulse.com/

Just look were it is on their map, then use APRS.FI to figure out the
LAT/LONG and then use your APRS on RF to input a SOLAR1 object to show
everyone on the road where it is.  Another way it to have a passenger keep
an eye on it and try to drive your car under it!  Give your mobile the
call of SOLAR1 and that also will work, though the parallax of keeping
your car directly under it at 20,000 feet will be almost impossible.. ;-)