[aprssig] information of voice repeaters on APRS

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 10:29:32 EDT 2013

Hmmm....

That's an interesting idea. APRS already has the generic RF-only queries ?IGATE and ?WX to find local I-gates and weather stations (respectively). Maybe we could define a new RF-only generic query ?RPTR which would cause all stations sending repeater objects to send them immediately (and thereby let the mobile user know about local repeaters without waiting for the periodic report).

Or would this clog the channel from abuse of this query? It doesn't seem that ?IGATE and ?WX are being too badly abused, but those aren't station types that a user needs to explicitly know about "right now!".

Just an idea.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO