[aprssig] information of voice repeaters on APRS

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Sat Mar 30 09:22:10 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Can somebody help me understand what is exactly the possibilities of
adding information about voice (FM or DV) repeaters on APRS.

This question is the result of a small discussion I had with a couple of
fellow hams on finding a way to feed information about what repeaters
into a handheld radio.

What is done now (manual lists or "chirp" images) is not the most handy
thing to use, requires additional devices and is not really standardised
that can be used on all handhelds.

One idea was to use APRS for that:
- Some information about Repeaters is already found on APRS (be it
limited). This information can be cached in the local APRS node or
stored in the APRS-IS archive

- A handheld could send out a query "please provide list of repeaters"
on the local APRS frequency; which would be received by the local APRS node

- these can then return that information: frequencies/shift/tone, mode
(FM, D-STAR, MotoTbro, ...), echolink/IRLP/... info

D-STAR repeaters already post their existance on APRS, as does some
echolink software (like "thelinkbox").

However, if I am correct:
- the information send to the APRS node is not really standardised (it
seams to be an "object", but information like frequencies, supported
modes, ...) are in freeform text.

- There does not seams to be a way to query the APRS network "give me a
list of repeaters"

There also seams to be a type-of-object "voice repeater", but I cannot
find the exact information in the specification on what is exactly in there?
Does it also contain information like modes; is it extendable towards
digital voice (including non-D-STAR systems)

Any help appriciated.

73
kristoff - ON1ARF