[aprssig] ICOM ID 51A HT

Bob Burns W9RXR w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Wed Mar 27 22:34:38 EDT 2013

At 06:00 PM 3/27/2013, Pat Cook wrote:

>Right now, it is an Apples & Oranges comparison HOWEVER I think as
>radios like the D-51A become more and more commonly available &
>used, the demand to integrate APRS & D-STAR together via DPRS will
>only increase.

Right now, if a DPRS user wants to be seen by APRS users who are only
receiving data via the RF amateur radio bands, it isn't happening
unless those APRS users also invest in D-Star equipment. That's my point.

And, right now, it is an investment. While the Icom ID-51A looks like
a nicely integrated D-Star radio w/GPS package, the price tag is
around $630. Meanwhile, a Kenwood TH-D72A, which is a nicely
integrated APRS radio w/GPS package, goes for about $460. Yes, the
TH-D72 doesn't do D-Star. But, the ID-51 doesn't do APRS.

As I said, I have D-Star users coming to me talking about how they
are sending APRS position reports. They believe this to be true
because their positions show up on FindU.com and APRS.fi. I explain
to them that the reason their positions appear in the APRS-IS
database is because someone figured out a way to inject DPRS
positions into that database. I then explain to them that their
positions are most likely not being seen by APRS RF users. They don't
understand why and express their belief that DPRS is the same as APRS.

I am not an "if it's on the Internet, it ain't ham radio" guy. But, I
share the other Bob's occasional frustration that some APRS users are
losing sight of APRS's role and value as a local, real-time,
tactical, analog RF-based information system. The bottom line, right
now, is that D-Star users can send all the DPRS information in the
world, but it does me no good if I'm driving around with no Internet
connection.

Bob...

P.S. As much as I respect Bob Bruninga, I don't think he has a
trademark on the name "Bob". <grin>