[aprssig] Viscous digipeating

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Mar 19 20:40:09 EDT 2013

Consider the purpose of APRS, especially RF APRS and Digipeaters.  Which
of the following is it?  a) to get packets to an IGate or b) to get
packets propagated for local RF reception?  IMHO, the purpose of a
digipeater is both, but a) shouldn't trump b).

I have a personal issue with the concept of a digipeater not repeating a
packet just because it heard some other digipeater repeating it.
Unless, of course, the coverage of the viscous digipeater is fully
covered by the other digipeater.  Otherwise, the viscous suppression may
be depriving RF users that are covered by that digi from hearing packets
just because another digipeater acted on them, possibly on the far side
of the viscous digipeater.

As with all networks, you need to consider the topology and compare
coverage areas before deciding not to act on any given packet under
whatever conditions are being considered.

But, IMNSHO, the presence of a packet on the APRS-IS is not just cause
for not repeating it on the local RF if the digipeater making that
decision provides some unique patch of coverage area.