[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 105, Issue 13

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 18:10:05 EDT 2013

I may sit down and run some checksum calculations but I'm willing to bet the checksum can be fooled and result in a callsign passing the checksum test even though the parser failed to capture all the data.

At the very least using a zero as the initiator symbol for a number results in a callsign parser that expects an even number of symbols...even moreso because you have four fixed symbols in the format.  If the parser found an odd number of symbols then it could toss the whole thing instantly without needing to compute the checksum because there was a symbol lost somewhere.  If two are lost, the likelihood of the checksum passing is diminished.

On the other hand if the parser completes the scan and finds all the symbols, then the length of the received datagram is double the length of the callsign plus four so the length of the callsign is now known before fully decoding.

(Technically, it should also make the parsing code simpler because it looks for the flag and then the following character instead of having to handle an awkward special case).