[aprssig] gpsd and ntpd

Joe Bennett aprs at ka3nam.com
Fri Mar 15 10:19:50 EDT 2013

Yes, GPSD manages the GPS and NTP uses a shared memory resource to
integrate with GPSD. Without any decent testing, I'll grant that there
has to be some indeterministic processing time involved, but it can
certainly keep things well under 1 ms. Some others on the net have
claimed the configuration can keep things under 100 us but I personally
have not seen that (it may be the hardware I'm using). Typically 500 us
to 1000 us... Can't get that with NTP alone... Good enough for me and
what I need to do with it...

Other than searching the net and finding the multitude of ways that
others have tried, I have a doc that I can share that shows how I did it
via Ubuntu server 10.04. I'll see if I get some time to post it on the
web...

-Joe
KA3NAM