[aprssig] gpsd and ntpd

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 09:08:31 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Joe Bennett <aprs at ka3nam.com> wrote:
> Yep, it can be done... Have a few NTP servers configured this way with
> PPS... Deffinately keeps the server more accurate than NTP alone... Getting
> date and time from GPS depends on the GPS used, as jitter can be quite high
> and hard for NTPd to correlate..

Just to clarify Joe:  Are you saying it can be done by letting gpsd
control the GPS and let NTP talk to gpsd?

I know GPS can be a clock source, but gpsd is a service that owns the
GPS and hands out data to programs on the system/network that need GPS
data.  I really don't see how that's compatible with rather strict NTP
timing requirements.

-Jason
kg4wsv