[aprssig] Pirates on APRS IS

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Thu Mar 14 16:16:31 EDT 2013

This is a wide open space of issues. The fact that licensing, all over the
world, is based on pieces of paper which can't be validated except through
extremely laborious attempts at identity tracking and investigation is at the
root of the problems.  One of the things that could be done, would be to use a
certificate based system.  But, we'd need a "mediator" service that would allow
Amateur radio operators to prove the identity to set up and account, and then
receive a signed, public/private key pair. These apps would then require you to
provide your identifying login and password to that site, and they would get
your key.  Then, they could check that key for revocation by the mediator to
control their behavior. Applications, would open a socket connection to viable
internet services, and authenticate.  Only services possessing an SSH key
generated by the mediator would be viable services to connect to. Then, the path
to RF could be "validated" by the servers, so that our iGate's would only
connect to "viable" services for accepting internet traffic, and know that it
came from a licensed operator.

Anyone want to start a new business to help all of us end up with a chance to
have a secure internet to RF and back path?  Sure it would take some
administration.  But, I'd be willing to pay a yearly fee to be able to have a
working RF to internet to RF path around the world.  That would be a great thing
for many reasons.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW