[aprssig] [APRS] CQ FD server

kc8sfq at mei.net kc8sfq at mei.net
Mon Jun 24 11:58:14 EDT 2013

Hi, Bob. You wrote:

> I am
absolutely astounded that out of 15,000 APRS hams in the USA, only
10
> of us used the CQ FD server.

WOW, Really? only
10?? That means with one call, I worked or saw 50%. I wasn't even sure I
had it right, since I didn't print-out Bob's earlier posting about CQ FD.
One of the stations who returned my CQ was WB4APR. That made for several
"Hey, guess who I just worked?" conversations around the lunch
table. (BTW, the Barry Amateur Radio Association is noted for our great
field day chow) Being ever the devious rascal, I would begin the
conversation by tossing out the call WB4APR and see who recognized it.
Several did. One Ham said that the last time he played with APRS, Bob was
drawing the maps.

I had the APRS station running most of the
day on Sat., under my own call, rather than the club's. I am sure the club
call doesn't have an APRS-IS passcode and, although I was RF only, I
suspect that matters. By having the station running all day, I think i was
able to generate a little interest among the club members. We shall have
to wait and see if that blossoms into more APRS activity locally. One
member stated that he wasn't interested in "driving around with a
little green dot following me". I suspect his experience with APRS is
not recent. Oddly, he seemed to have no problem with carrying a cell
phone.

I must have had fun at field day, it's Monday and I'm
pooped.

73, KC8SFQ  Ron