[aprssig] ISS Object Feed on APRS-IS Down

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jun 21 16:01:01 EDT 2013

On 6/21/2013 3:55 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> I see it showing up on both findu and aprs.fi, but nothing is
> appearing in the filtered feed from three different APRS servers:
> FIRST.APRS.NET,  FIRENET.US, and 198.137.202.23 (one of the parallel
> FIRENET servers via direct IP).   The feed is being filtered in all
> three cases for o/ISS* .
>
> FLASH!     15:52 EDT    Suddenly the object has started appearing
> again on all three servers (HF, VHF and SATgate).

If you had connected to fifth.aprs.net, you'd have received it, but
would have been missing a bunch of the remainder of the APRS-IS.
http://Fifth.aprs.net:14501 shows some really strange TCP throughput
fluctuations.  I've posted to the aprs2.net support group so hopefully
someone will notice and do whatever's necessary to restore the hole in
the core.

I've forced a reconnect on this end and am now on second.aprs.net which
is why you are suddenly receiving the object.  Oh, and aprs.fi draws
multiple feeds IIRC to avoid this sort of packet loss.