[aprssig] APRStt for SAR using UTM grid!

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jun 17 15:40:59 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:24:42PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bruninga at usna.edu> flavor, containing:
> We need to resolve this.  I was told by some SAR folks that for all voice
> reporting during a SAR mission, that the XXX,YYY resolution was for the
> 10km square grid with resolution to 10 meters for the purpose of generally
> knowing where everyone was.  Additional digits were only used if higher
> resolution or a different area was of interest.
>
> Are you saying that not all groups use this convention?

The standard UTM truncation is to keep the 10km, 1km, and 100m digits of the
easting and northing to construct a 6-digit truncated coordinate.  The 8 digit
coordinate keeps 10km, 1km, 100m, and 10m.  This is pretty much universal, and
is what is done in USNG and MGRS.

Any group using any other truncation is just making up their own thing.

Look on any USGS topo map at the format of the UTM tick marks they provide.
The grids on these maps are 1000m grids.  You'll find that they are labeled
with a small digit (or two small digits) followed by larger digits.  The
small digits are the ones dropped for the truncated forms of UTM coordinates
(including USNG and MGRS), leaving a 2-digit identifier for the 1000m grid.
A third digit is added for constructing UTM coordinates at 100m precision.