[aprssig] Solar Plane: Leg 4: Flight St. Louis - Washington - Friday!

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jun 14 10:52:20 EDT 2013

On 6/14/2013 10:32 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> A laborous way to at least get some through Might be to periodically
> send a message to someone live in the area of each IGate and hope that
> the courtesy posit will be beaconed once.  Lynn, wont that do at least
> something?

Probably only if I change the SOLAR1 from an object to a true station
posit and send the theoretical message from SOLAR1, preferably just
before a position update.  I suspect that the APRS-IS servers don't
forward the message "courtesy posit" for objects, but only actual source
stations.

I'll give it some thought, but it's really a moot point until they get
their satellite data feed back online.  The plane hasn't moved or
updated telemetry values for over 3 hours now.

I did tell them in their Twitter feed that it's awfully hard to spot an
airplane flying if you don't have an updated location as to where it
actually IS!