[aprssig] APRS for IPad

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 13 20:54:44 EDT 2013

On 6/13/2013 4:32 PM, Lawrence LaBranche wrote:
> I have an iPad so I will comment. There is a few iPad APRS apps. I the ones I
> use are not scaled, but take advantage of the screen size. My favorite is
> OpenAPRS-xl. It does not connect directly to a radio. It has nice graphics.
> PocketPacket is the other app I have. It can connect directly to a radio. I
> have not done so.

And they all still need to be tethered to the Internet to function since they
depend on Google maps.

They are of no value in the field, where the low power consumption and light
weight of an iPad would be really useful -- IF -- they could work with a radio
like a D700 or TH-D72, and had local maps on board.