[aprssig] APRS : Quad Copter VHF APRS 145.175 MHz 1 watt

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 15:31:40 EDT 2013

FWIW, I used my quadcopter today at the Atlanta Hamfest to win second place
in the antenna launching competition.  It was designed for guys with air
cannons and slingshots with fishing reels attached to demonstrate their
accuracy in getting a fishing line through a 2 foot Y at 30 feet above the
ground.  I just tied the fishing line to the quad and flew it right up and
over the Y.  I would have won first, but my knot slipped and the line
dropped before I got it over the Y.
I'm not sure I'd want 144Mhz at 1watt coming off the quad.  I've got 5.8Ghz
NTSC video, 915MHz telemetry, and 2.4GHz control up/telemetry down right
now. Another transmitter would probably make me violate some FCC rule.
Besides, I'm getting 10Hz GPS updates on the telemetry link at 57kbps, which
is several orders of magnitude better than 1 update every 30 seconds with
APRS.

John Gorkos
AB0OO