[aprssig] Audio Feedback for APRS Packets and Messages on the TH-D72

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 25 13:08:36 EDT 2013

But to the original poster's question about being "received by an
I-Gate", and to clarify the actual meaning of the tones of the D72,
here's a copy my reply in the D72 Yahoo group:

The "two-tone audio feedback" doesn't mean that your packet was received
by an IGate.  The only way you can tell that is by independently
monitoring the APRS-IS via the Internet.

What it DOES mean is that your packet was digipeated AND the repeated
packet was copied and decoded by your D72.  The original packet, or the
digipeated packet, or some subsequently digipeated packet (depending on
your path settings) may or may not be copied and decoded by an IGate,
there's no way to know that from the RF side.

It is VERY common to not decode a digipeat of your transmitted packet so
you cannot read any success or failure criteria into the presence or
absence of the "two-tone" sound.

(and KJ4ERJ-14 is my own D72)