[aprssig] APRS Messenger...important update

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Wed Feb 20 05:11:56 EST 2013

Over the last two weeks I've been making some modifications to the APRS
Messenger program so that it will work with a PSK-63 APRS GPS tracker
being developed by Mike Berg, N0QBH.

Over the years Mike has developed several APRS trackers using Microchip
PIC microcontrollers and I already use some of Mike's code in the APRS
TNC Digi Tracker.

Mike had developed a PSK-31 beacon so recently he got in touch with me
to see if we could work together to get a PSK-63 GPS tracker he was
developing to work with APRS Messenger. His new tracker design uses
Mic-E APRS encoding to generate a very short PSK-63 packet but as APRS
Messenger has some software filters to eliminate spurious decodes
appearing in the HF traffic box his beacons couldn't be received.

I've modified the data decoder in APRS Messenger to improve the
rejection of spurious packets without the text filters. Mike has also
added the CRC checksum to his PIC firmware so that it's compatible with
the APRS Messenger format.

Three days ago Mike sent me a screen shot showing his PSK-63 beacon
being received by APRS Messenger for the first time. This week he will
add the beta code to his web site once he's drawn the schematic. He will
be looking for volunteers to make beta versions of the tracker.

I've uploaded the new version (v3.26) to the CCW web site and the CCW
Yahoo group files section. I would like to request that all users of
APRS Messenger especially those running igates update their software to
this version as soon as possible. It will allow Mike and those
volunteers who build the beta version of the tracker once it's posted on
his website to test and send their APRS over PSK-63 beacons to the
APRS-IS for testing.

The web page for APRS Messenger is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

Mike's PSK-63 tracker will appear here this week:

http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/pic_index.html

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

--