[aprssig] WIDE2-1 vs WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 was WB2PAY etal

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Feb 19 18:39:08 EST 2013

We are getting to the point that we actually need a "local path" announcement, which can cause the mobile software to change it's path dynamically.  Heck, I'd even say, that the software should use a PID that listens for its packets, and if they don't occur, it should adjust the path dynamically to go through some variations to find something that works.  Fixed paths are really something that doesn't make sense any longer.

About time for everyone to just have a raspberry-pi that provides a full APRS stack, connected as a "mic" to the radio.  It should have a passthrough mic circuit and a flexible mic plug mechanism that would allow a pi->radio cable and a "mic adapter" cable to be purchased for each radio type.

That would allow us to focus on a "ubiquitous" APRS software platform that did the right things, was updatable and maintainable as well as extendable.

Ohhh wait, we were having a conversation about doing this with OpenTrac… Now, that would be a great evolution and improvement in the usability of APRS!

Gregg Wonderly